In line with the government announced the budget last year, TM is now launching the RM50 RM38 per month package for university students. This package is for a netbook with free Streamyx broadband (384kbps) for 2 years. Some people have been asking me regarding the package, so I guess I want to share my opinion on it here.
The RM50 RM38 per month package comes with:
HP Mini 210 (Intel Atom N450, 1GB Memory, 250GB hard disk, Windows 7 Starter, 2-year warranty)
- HP Mini 210 (Intel Atom N450, 1GB Memory, 250GB hard disk, Windows 7 Starter, 2-year warranty)
- Unlimited Streamyx 384kbps
- FREE wireless modem with 12 months warranty from the date of installation.
- FREE Streamyx Zone ID
- Free Installation and Activation Fee
- Hypptunes (50 songs download/month) for 12 month
- Free Netbook delivery (usually within 14 days depending on the availability of stock in your area)
- Update: 50% discount on your first monthly bill if the netbook reach you AFTER 14 working days.
Now, the package looks good on paper, but wait til you see the long list of terms and conditions. Here are some of them:
- The package is only eligible to 1st or 2nd year IPTA/IPTS with endorsement from the respective universities.
- You must have a TM Homeline or TM Home Prepaid before subscribing to this package.
- A deposit of RM75 will be chargeable in your bill. You will also need to pay for the internal wiring during the installation of TM Homeline which will be paid by the student direct to the installer
- Internal Wiring for TM Homeline is chargeable (RM30- RM50)
- The minimum subscription period of 2 years upon successful activation of Streamyx is applicable for this package. For any premature termination, an administrative fee of RM600 will be chargeable
- After 24 months , student still enjoy monthly fee according to their packages (except for the Rm38 package)
Is this a package for students?
I personally think it’s a big NO NO. Here are the reasons why:
- Students are not staying at HOME!! Well, more than 60% of students are studying away from home and most of them are staying in the campus. How on earth are they going to be able to install a fixed-line connection for Streamyx? But if you’re staying outside campus (e.g. renting a house with friends), then go for this package.
- Students are always on the go. Mobility is the key. With Netbook, you expect students to stay at home? A wireless broadband would have been a better choice!
- This package are only applicable for 1st and 2nd year university students, what about the rest? They are not students?
While RM50 RM38 per month is a lure for most university students, I do think students these day can afford to buy laptops as most of them are able to secure loans or scholarships. Plus, the price for laptops and netbooks are very low now. There are also other Wireless Broadband options available out there which offers better service, mobility and price! TM should in fact reduce the price of existing packages to encourage people to continue using its service!